a presentation of ... Creative Healing, LLC
|Posted by Karen M. Wyatt on February 15, 2018 at 4:00 PM|
Learn how this innovative elective class introduced death and dying to a group of high school students.
Thursday February 22, 2018
10 am Pacific/1 pm Eastern
Dial-in Number: (425) 440-5010
Link to listen online: http://www.iTeleseminar.com/104232018
One of the most difficult issues we face in changing the way we care for the dying in our society is the general lack of education about death and dying. What if every high school student could take a class to help them understand death--how might that change everything? My guests today are 3 students who took just such a class, an elective course called "Death and the Meaning of LIfe," and the teacher who facilitated that learning experience, Charles Mentken. Lauren McShane, Sarah McGee, and Ardara Chinook will tell us about the class, what it was like to talk about death every day, and how it has already changed their lives.
In this interview you will learn:
- Why and how this class was created
- The structure of the curriculum for the class
- What inspired each student to take the class
- How the class changed the students' feelings about death and dying
- Tips for creating a similar class in other schools
- Lessons learned from this inaugural experience teaching high school students about death
Categories: Community Outreach